Thursday, November 14, 2013

Kickoff Meeting

This is really happening! Yesterday was the first meeting for the Aquarium's Marathon Team Members.  The coordinators held the event at the Aquarium (surprise!).  I met up beforehand with my colleague Mark who also beat the odds and was accepted on the team and we walked the short distance to the event.  Mark is a huge aquarium advocate.  He is a member of the Aquarium and one of his kids attended the Aquarium's summer program and is fascinated with the ocean.  When Mark was talking to his son about running the marathon for charity, his son said he had to run it for the Aquarium.  Mark and I are incredibly lucky to have BOTH been admitted on the team.  I don't think either of us realized when we were applying how slim our chances were for getting accepted.

I don't think the meeting could have been more conveniently located.  After a short 5 minute walk Deb Bobek greeted us at the entrance.  I had spoken to Deb on the phone during my interview and I somehow felt like I knew her already.  Up until a year ago, she had lived right across the street from me in the North End and yet we had never run into each other before - until now.  Upon entering the Aquarium Deb introduced us to two others whom I had spoken with during the phone interview process,  John Hanzl and Chris Bauernfeind.   John is the team coordinator of the Aquarium's Charity Running Team.  He is also the head Dive Safety Officer at the Aquarium.  It had was John's goal to start an Aquarium charity team for the Boston Marathon and two years ago he made it a reality.  Chris is the Team's Running Coach.  He has run dozens of Marathons and also works at the aquarium as a Senior Aquarist.  I'm quickly learning that these guys have awesome day jobs!

As more people arrived I got to meet some of the runners.  I met Justine and Jocelyn Lescarbeau returning teammates/sisters from the 2013 team.  They were here to settle some unfinished business: their marathon was cut short last year about a mile from the finish line as race officials stopped all runners. Known amicably or maybe infamously (i'm not quite sure yet) as "The Twins" amongst the Team, they also happen to live in the North End as roommates.  Small World.

As the evening proceeded I met Alex Shopov.  Alex is very active with the Aquarium.  He volunteers as a vet assistant at the Aquarium and works for them part time as well.  Alex actually gave a tour of the aquarium's veterinary facility after the meeting.  I was surprised how knowledgable Alex was regarding the treatment of sick marine life.  Do you know how to X-Ray a fish without killing it? Alex does...

Then I met Sarah-Ann Johnson.  She's a school teacher and this is going to be her first Marathon.  Last April her life was turned upside down when the marathon explosion severely injured several of her friends.  It was a stark reminder about the significance this upcoming Marathon has for many people and for me.  I'm really glad she is running and that we have her on our team.  Boston Strong.

John telling a fish story (Left to Right: Walt, Deb, John, Chris)
As the meeting kicked off we went over the training schedule, fundraising tips, and had a quick Q&A.

Walter Flaherty, the EVP & COO of the New England Aquarium and huge running enthusiast spoke to the group to thank us for fundraising efforts and joked how envious he was that we were running the Boston Marathon.  Before I knew it the meeting was over, or maybe it was just beginning.  Deb and Chris wrapped up the business end of things then extended an invitation to tour the aquarium.  F%$# YEA!!

John stands in front of the air compressor  and shows us the Dive Team. 
The sign on the door said STAFF ONLY as we walked through.  I was hoping we were going to get a chance to get the behind the scenes tour, and it did not disappoint.  First stop, dive safety room.  this was John's domain. He showed me the new air compressor with it's heavy duty blast door.  If the tanks get over filled and explode, this door will protect bystanders.  This extra precaution isn't the norm for most filling stations but this is how John rolls.  After all, he's the dive safety guy at the aquarium.
Stepping into the Fridge
Next stop, the industrial freezer where they store the fish food: frozen fish and rats.  ...Yeah, they feed some of the creatures rats!  I'll probably need to get more information on that little morsel of information.  Chris told the entire group to get in the freezer.  "Here's a taste of what your training runs are going to feel like."  Chris proclaims.  It was freezing in there as fans blew freezing air right down our necks; and it reeked of fish.  I hope our running team doesn't smell like that after our long runs!
When a fish dies on the operating table, does this room become a kitchen?

Next stop, Veterinary Unit.  This is where Alex took the lead and showed the various devices and tanks.  We walked over to the fish talk where they hold sick fish and it's empty.  All the fish that were in there last week have recovered and are now back in the general population.  Well done Alex!
The Big Tank
The one and only Myrtle the Turtle!

Finally, we made our way to the top of the big fish tank.  The lights were off except for a small spotlight shining down into the massive blue tank in front of us.  It was 8:30pm and bedtime for most of the fish.  John walked over to an area and turned on a projector which started displaying a slideshow of last year's team. Most of the team members around me were returning runners and I was new, but I no longer felt new.  This was my team and I felt as welcome as my teammates were welcoming.  This is going to be an awesome experience.




Deb and The Twins









Support my run

No comments:

Post a Comment