Saturday, November 23, 2013

Marine Mammal Telepathy

Today I volunteered as a Marine Mammal Observation Volunteer at the Aquarium.  Vanessa, the Aquarium's Sea Lion Trainer explained the responsibilities of the role:  One of the California Sea Lions, Sierra, has mysteriously had her lower canines worn down and no one knows why.  So the Aquarium asked some volunteers to monitor Sierra's behavior and log any time she does any teeth grinding activity and try to catch it on camera.  Simple enough.

It just so happens, I was born with an exceptional natural skill of communicating with marine mammals.  On seeing Sierra as I first walked up to the pool I sensed it was not the right time to engage in marine mammal to human communications.  There was something about the way Sierra was lying lifeless on her back with her eyes closed that told me the timing wasn't right.  That's not a problem, I also happen to have the patience of a Shaolin Monk.  An hour and forty-five minutes later Sierra awakens and I begin sending out the signals of communication.  I won't get into details about those communications - only marine mammals would understand them anyways.  But I asked Sierra to show me what happened to her lower teeth so I could snap a photo.  Maybe I should start a TV show... The Seal Whisperer?


My animal magnetism took a while to kick in


Caught in the act!

Support my run

No comments:

Post a Comment